Losing a significant amount of weight through bariatric surgery is a life-changing achievement, but it can come with unexpected side effects, such as hair loss. This condition, known as telogen effluvium, is often temporary and can be distressing. However, there are several strategies you can employ to minimise hair loss and promote hair regrowth while maintaining your post-surgery lifestyle.
- Adequate Protein Intake: After weight loss surgery, maintaining an appropriate protein intake is crucial for your overall health and hair growth. Protein provides the building blocks necessary for hair production. Aim for at least 60-80 grams of protein daily through lean sources like poultry, fish, lean meats, and vegetarian options like tofu and legumes.
- Multivitamins and Supplements: Your body may have difficulty absorbing certain nutrients after bariatric surgery. To counteract this, take a daily multivitamin specifically designed for post-bariatric patients. Pay extra attention to vitamins and minerals such as biotin, iron, zinc, and vitamin D, as these are essential for healthy hair. Try “Glowwa – Hair Food”.
- Stay Hydrated: Dehydration can contribute to hair loss. Ensure you consume an adequate amount of water to stay properly hydrated. Aim for at least eight glasses of water daily to maintain overall health, including hair growth.
- Consult your Tonic Dietitian: Our dietitian can help you plan a well-balanced post-surgery diet that supports hair health. They can also guide you on nutrient-rich food choices and portion control to ensure you meet your nutritional needs.
- Be Gentle with Your Hair: To minimise further hair damage, handle your hair with care. Use a wide-tooth comb, minimise heat styling, and avoid tight hairstyles that pull on the hair. Use gentle shampoos and conditioners suitable for your hair type.
- Manage Stress: High-stress levels can exacerbate hair loss. Engage in relaxation techniques, such as meditation, yoga, or deep breathing exercises, to help manage stress and promote a healthy scalp.
- Patience is Key: Remember that hair loss after weight loss surgery is often temporary. It can take several months for your hair to return to its normal growth cycle. Be patient and stay committed to your nutritional and lifestyle changes.
While hair loss after weight loss surgery can be disheartening, it is usually temporary and manageable with the right strategies. By prioritising your nutritional intake, maintaining a healthy lifestyle, and being patient, you can minimise hair loss and enjoy the many benefits of your weight loss journey. Don’t hesitate to consult with your Tonic healthcare professionals, including your surgeon and a registered dietitian, for personalised advice on how to mitigate hair loss and promote hair regrowth.